Pretzels are one of Noah and my favorite snacks so there is always a big ‘ole jar of them sitting on the counter. When I saw this recipe, I knew it had to be in my life. Pronto.
Chicken? Pretzels? Cheese? This is totally up my alley. I made this a few week ago and it was glorious. The crunchy pretzels coating juicy chicken was good enough but then top it with a cheesy mustard sauce? Delish.
I am totally drooling because since making this I have embarked on a pretty strict diet to lose this baby weight. Womp womp. It actually hasn’t been too bad. I’m using the My Fitness Pal app on my phone to track my calories (1410/day) and exercise. I am a major visual person and love lists so it really helps me to see it all written down. And knowing that something is going to be tracked and calories calculated makes me think twice about what I eat. I just started on Sunday but I haven’t gone over my caloric count yet but it’s been hard. I’m hoping this diet will result in a lifestyle change with mostly clean eating around here.
I’ve been trying out a lot of new smoothie recipes so I will be sharing those with you all soon.
But back to this chicken….you have to make it. A piece of it would be worth having to eat spinach the rest of the day.
Pretzel Crusted Chicken with a Mustard-Cheddar Sauce
recipe from Taste and Tell
2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
about 6 ounces of salted pretzels
salt and pepper
Mustard Cheddar Sauce:
1 tablespoon butter
1 tablespoon flour
1 cup milk
1 tablespoon spicy mustard
2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
1. Slice each chicken breast in half (horizontally to make them thin), making a total of 4 thin chicken breasts. Place each chicken breast in between plastic wrap and whack with a mallet to flatten slightly.
2. Place pretzels in a food processor and process until you have fine crumbs. Put the crumbs in a shallow dish and season with salt and pepper. In another shallow dish, beat the eggs.
3. In a large saute pan over medium heat, heat up the oil, about 1/8″ deep.
4. Dip each chicken piece into the pretzels, then eggs, then back into the pretzels. Carefully place chicken into the hot oil and cook until browned and the chicken is cooked through (about 3-4 minutes per side).
5. Meanwhile, make the sauce. In a saucepan, melt the butter. Whisk in the flour and cook for 1 minute. Whisk in the milk and the mustard, and cook until slightly thickened. Stir in the cheese. Season with salt and pepper, if needed.
6. Serve the chicken with the Mustard-Cheddar Sauce.