I have always been a huge fan of ice cream and one of my favorite treats as a kid was creamsicles. The citrus-y orange outside combined with the creamy vanilla ice cream was a total win for me (and still is…but in only once in a blue moon these days). Well, one day when I was dreaming about creamsicles I wondered “why can’t they be a cookie too?” I have made orange dark chocolate chip cookies before so why hadn’t I thought of the vanilla version? It was a stroke of genius I tell you! The combination is just as great in cookie form and much more enjoyable in freezing temperatures.
recipe adapted from Nestle Tollhouse
2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp. baking soda
1 heaping tsp. salt
1 cup butter flavored Crisco
3/4 cup granulated sugar
3/4 cup brown sugar
1 tsp. pure orange extract
1/2 – 3/4 cup white chocolate chips (dark chocolate is also great)
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
2. Combine flour, baking soda and salt in a small bowl.
3. Beat butter, granulated sugar, brown sugar and orange extract until light and fluffy.
4. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
5. Gradually mix in dry ingredients.
6. Stir in white chocolate chips.
7. Bake for 9 minutes, or until golden brown. Keep remaining dough refrigerated while cookies are baking.
8. Cool on baking sheet for a minute or so then remove to wire rack to cool completely. Yields about 28 cookies.