It’s time again to break out the ice cream machine! That little fact pretty much makes my entire week. I have a thing for ice cream in a really bad way. It doesn’t really matter how full I am, I can still manage to find room for ice cream. I inherited this love of ice cream from my dad so whenever I visit my parents I try to whip up a little something for us.
When I came across this recipe, I knew it was one I would have to try out on my dad. We both love butter pecan ice cream and this recipe looks very similar to it but with almonds instead…even better in my opinion. I’m sure I say this every time I make homemade ice cream but this was one of my best attempts yet! It is super rich and creamy and the pralined almonds throughout add such a delicious, sugary crunch.
Brown Butter Ice Cream with Pralined Almonds
recipe from Portuguese Girl Cooks
For the Custard:
6 tablespoons unsalted butter
2 cups heavy whipping cream
1 cup whole milk
6 large egg yolks
1/3 cup granulated sugar
1/3 cup packed dark brown sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
For the Pralined Almonds:
1/4 cup water
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 cup whole almonds, unblanched and untested
1/8 teaspoon coarse salt, preferably fleur de sel
For the almonds:
1. In a large skillet, combine the water, sugar, and almonds. Cook the mixture over medium-high heat, stir constantly with a wooden spoon, until the sugar has dissolved and the liquid comes to a boil.
2. Decrease the heat to medium and continue stirring for a few minutes, until the liquid has crystallized and becomes sandy. The crystallized sugar will begin to liquify, stir the dark syrup at the bottom of the pan, and begin to coat the nuts with it. Continue to stir and glaze the nuts with the syrup, until the almonds are glazed and become glossy and shiny.
3. Remove the pan from the heat and sprinkle with the salt. Pour the almonds onto an ungreased baking sheet and allow to cool completely. Once cool, break up any almond clusters that have formed. Chop up the almonds into small pieces and any sugar. Set aside.
For the ice cream base:
1. In a small frypan over medium-low heat, melt the butter. Cook the butter until it is a dark amber. Stir occasionally and watch the butter closely to avoid burning, about 6 minutes. Pour through a fine mesh strainer into a small bowl.
2. In a large saucepan, bring heavy cream and milk to a simmer. In a separate bowl, whisk the egg yolks, both sugars, and salt until well blended and mixture is thick. Whisk in the brown butter. Slowly whisk in the hot cream mixture into the yolk mixture. Return the mixture to the saucepan and cook over medium-low heat until the custard thickens and coats the back of a spoon and temperature reaches 170 degrees F. This takes approximately 5 minutes. Strain the custard into a large bowl. Refrigerate until cold. Stir in the vanilla.
3. Process custard in ice-cream maker according to manufacturers directions. Transfer to an airtight container and stir in the pralined almonds. Freeze until firm.
Recipe linked to Mangia Monday, Totally Tasty Tuesday, Tasty Tuesday, Tempt My Tummy Tuesday and Cast Party Wednesday.