OMG…this is the most amazing meal I have made in a long time! I’m not really surprised considering my love of cheese and pasta and anything buffalo. It really is a dream combination for my tummy. When I first looked at the recipe, I was a little concerned that it would be too spicy for the boys but it was just the right amount of buffalo flavor. I think that the sour cream really helped mellow it out. But be warned, it is spicier when reheated.
My aunt has been waiting (not so patiently) for me to post this Top 100 recipe after I sent her a picture of it last week. I even got a reminder the other day on my Facebook page that I hadn’t posted about it yet. So here it is Aunt Mimi, buffalo mac-n-cheese!
recipe from Brenda’s Canadian Kitchen
7 T unsalted butter, plus more for the dish
1 pound elbow macaroni
1 small onion, finely chopped
2 stalks celery, finely chopped
3 cups shredded rotisserie chicken
2 cloves garlic, minced
3/4 cups hot sauce (we like Louisiana Hot Sauce)
2 Tbsp. all purpose flour
2 tsp. dry mustard
2 1/2 cups half-and-half (I used milk instead)
1 pound yellow sharp cheddar cheese, shredded (about 3 1/2 cups)
8 ounces pepper-jack cheese, shredded (about 2 cups)
2/3 cup sour cream
1 cup panko (Japanese breadcrumbs)
1/2 cup crumbled blue cheese
2 T chopped fresh parsley
1. Preheat oven to 350F and butter (or use cooking spray) a deep 9 x 13 baking dish. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil; add the pasta and cook until al dente. Drain.
2. Melt 3 tablespoons of butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onion and celery and cook until soft, about 5 minutes. Stir in the chicken and garlic and cook 2 minutes, then add 1/2 cup hot sauce and simmer until slightly thickened, about 1 more minute.
3. Melt 2 tablespoons butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Stir in the flour and mustard with a wooden spoon until smooth. Whisk in the half-and-half, then add the remaining 1/4 cup hot sauce and stir until thick, about 2 minutes. Whisk in the cheddar and pepper jack cheeses, then whisk in the sour cream until smooth.
4. Spread half of the macaroni in the prepared baking dish, then top with the chicken mixture and the remaining macaroni. Pour the cheese sauce evenly on top.
5. Put the remaining 2 tablespoons butter in a medium microwave-safe bowl and microwave until melted. Stir in the panko, blue cheese and parsley. Sprinkle over the macaroni and bake until bubbly, 30 to 40 minutes. Let rest 10 minutes before serving.