First off I have to start by saying Happy 27th Birthday to my husband Joel. We have spent many birthdays together but the past two have been especially meaningful seeing him not only as the love of my life but as a father to our son. He is such a fun, loving daddy and I just love watching him interact with our little man. I hope that Noah grows up to be as spirited, positive and social as Joel.
Now, onto the food. When I found these cupcakes, I knew they would be an instant hit with Joel. Snickerdoodles are one of his favorite cookies and he also quite enjoys cupcakes so I knew the combination would be spectacular. And it totally was. The cinnamon cake combined with the sweet cinnamon cream cheese frosting was the perfect treat! They were a huge hit with his colleagues. They are a definite must try!
recipe from Recipe Girl
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 cups cake flour
1 Tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 Tablespoon ground cinnamon
1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, at room temperature
1 3/4 cups sugar
4 large eggs, at room temperature
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 1/4 cups whole milk
12 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature
1/2 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
1 pound powdered sugar, sifted
2 Tablespoons brown sugar
1/2 Tablespoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
2 Tablespoons sugar + 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line 28 muffin tins with paper liners.
2. Sift together both flours, baking powder, salt and cinnamon.
3. In a large mixing bowl, cream together butter and sugar until pale and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating until each is incorporated, scraping down sides of bowl as needed. Beat in vanilla. Add the flour mixture in three parts, alternating with additions of milk, beating until combined after each addition.
4. Divide batter evenly among lined cups, filling each about 3/4 full. Bake about 20 minutes, or until toothpick inserted into the center of one of the cupcakes comes out clean. Remove to a wire rack to cool completely before icing.
5. Prepare frosting: In a medium bowl, use electric mixer to blend cream cheese and butter. Add sugars, vanilla and ground cinnamon. Spread onto cooled cupcakes, or scoop into piping bag and pipe on the frosting decoratively. Place sugar-cinnamon mixture in a fine sieve and tap it lightly over the cupcakes to give them a light sprinkle.