All week I’ve been secretly hoping my husband wouldn’t eat the bananas. I even considered hiding them. I was craving banana bread and it is just not the same with fresh yellow bananas.
This amazing banana bread recipe from Southern Living is the best I have ever had. It’s a simple, dense and decadent bread that is super moist. And it’s so easy to throw together for a quick breakfast for guests. Every time I make this the recipe is requested.
We prefer our banana bread a little “spicy” so I have altered the original recipe a bit to fit our taste. The cinnamon, allspice and cloves in the batter are my additions so if you would like to try the original recipe simply leave those out.
See what I mean?
There is an insane amount of streusel on this bread and we like it that way! But if you don’t just cut the recipe in half (that’s what the original recipe called for anyway).
Cream Cheese Streusel Banana Bread
Recipe from Southern Living
6 Tbsp. butter, room temperature
4 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
1 cup sugar
1 ½ cups flour
¼ tsp. baking powder
¼ tsp. salt
¼ tsp. cinnamon
¼ tsp. allspice
¼ tsp. cloves
1 cup banana (I use three bananas)
½ tsp. vanilla
1 cup brown sugar
1 cup pecans, optional*
2 Tbsp. butter, room temperature
2 Tbsp. flour
½ tsp. cinnamon
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Beat butter and cream cheese until creamy.
2. Gradually add sugar; add the egg.
3. Add dry ingredients until combined.
4. Mash bananas then stir into batter. Add vanilla.
5. Spoon into greased and floured loaf pan.
6. Combine topping ingredients until crumbly then sprinkle over the bread.
7. Bake for about an hour. You may want to place a cookie sheet lined with aluminum foil below the bread as it sometimes overflows.
8. Enjoy a slice slathered with butter!
*Storing your nuts in the freezer will prevent the essential oils from spoiling too fast creating a longer shelf life