I love potatoes. Baked, mashed, fried, grilled, sauteed…it’s all good. I’ve been dreaming of what to do with the last of our potatoes and finally decided on potato pancakes. I’m glad I did.
I just guessed on the amounts for the pancakes and they turned out pretty well. This may have to be changed up a bit depending on the size of your potatoes (a little more or less flour). I used 4 small red potatoes and ended with 7 small pancakes.
Big ‘ole pile of potatoes.
4 small red potatoes
1/2 small onion
1/8-1/4 cup flour*
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. pepper
1/4 tsp. garlic powder, optional
2-3 Tbsp. olive oil
1. Shred potatoes and onion.
2. Place in clean dish towel and squeeze all excess water.
3. In a bowl mix egg, flour, salt, pepper and garlic powder.
4. Mix potatoes into the egg mixture.
5. Heat olive oil in a pan over medium heat. Form potato pancakes in the size that you wish and place in hot oil.
6. Cook 3-4 minutes per side, until golden brown. The second side may cook faster than the first.
7. Drain on paper towel lined plate and enjoy.
*enough to make a thick paste with the egg